Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Anybody listening?


Well hello there. Who knows what brought you to my corner of the internet, but welcome. This is a blog about my adventures working university and community theatre. Every now and again I need a place to commiserate and celebrate the things that happen in my shows. Any good stage manager will understand what I'm saying, and maybe for those of you that aren't as close in the theatre world will learn something new. 
I'm not here to be nice, but I'm also not here to ruin people's careers. I have no intention of using real names, or giving any of you an indication of where exactly I'm working. This may expand beyond just theatre rantings, and I'd love to open up discussions about work and history and anything else that appears on people's minds. 
Why don't we jump right in?
Today I have my first rehearsal for the first show of the university season. Lucky for me, I have a cast of 12 actors - not the largest cast I've ever dealt with, but still, a healthy number for me and my ASM. Oh yeah. I have one ASM. Here I was hoping for two, but what can you do - only 5 people took the course! She's lovely though. Trying her best to keep up - not an easy feat, let me tell you.
Anyways. I'm mostly using this right now to avoid doing up a rehearsal schedule. I'm not looking forward to having to make one, seeing as there's like fifteen scenes in this 37 page script, and I somehow have to divvy up all the actors into useful sections, keeping in mind that half of them aren't available on non-corresponding weeknights and my lead isn't available for our planned weekend rehearsal. (I did say this was going to be ranty!)
But it's okay. I know what I'm doing, and I'm good at it. I think. People keep asking me to work, so I guess I'm okay at what I do. 
Until next time, keep the rubber side down friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment